Land, water, snow and ice as Arctic elements
Arktikum, Aurora room (onsite event)
Main purpose of the event is to get to know each other’s work better among the staff of the Arctic Centre at the University of Lapland and Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke). Seminar can though be attended by anyone interested in the topic.
Participation does not require prior registration.
9:00-9:15 Opening words
9:15–11.30 Session 1: Land (Presentations 15 min + 5 min for Q&A)
• Françoise Martz - Arctic nettle: from weed to money (ARKNOKK)
• Marja Uusitalo - Finding a good mine tailing cover for Arctic conditions
• Taru Rikkonen - Multiple-use forests and reindeer husbandry - case of pendulous lichen in continuous cover forests
• Dele Raheem - Plants and Health from an Arctic perspective
• Rainer Peltola - Wild berry yield monitoring: How and why?
• Minna Männistö - Microbial diversity of northern soil ecosystems
11:30–12:15 Lunch (own cost)
12:15–13:30 Session 2: Snow and ice (Presentations 15 min + 5 min for Q&A)
• John Moore & Ilona Mettiäinen - Monetizing the Greenland ice sheet for the common good
• Sirpa Rasmus, Leena Leppänen, Bruce Forbes - Co-producing snow-related knowledge – snow pits by citizens and more!
• Hannah Strauss-Mazzullo - Living with snow and ice: the Arctic everyday
13:30-14:00 Coffee break
14:00 – 15:00 Session 3: Water (Presentations 15 min + 5 min for Q&A)
• Katharina Heinrich - From Ice to Water – Newly exposed marine areas in the Polar Regions and their importance for ocean management
• Samuli Helama - Dry and Wet Clouds: hydroclimate data from tree-ring carbon isotope records
• Monica Tennberg - Exploring the “international“ in water-society relations
Arktinen keskus, Lapin yliopisto
+358 40 0391337