Who tells the stories of the Arctic? The program of the matinee explores contemporary arctic narratives, starting with a panel discussion and followed by short film screenings.
The panel will discuss the multitude of narratives of the northern regions of the planet in the intersection of art, science and journalism. Speakers will address their relationship with the narratives that shape the arctic reality and our understanding of the region. Audience is most welcome to participate in the discussion.
How and why narratives are born, distributed and silenced? What kind of futures are the current narratives shaping? What narratives are just about to emerge and can be heard only by paying close attention?
Matinee will take place in Polarium hall in Arktikum House (Pohjoisranta 4, Rovaniemi).
13:15 Panel discussion on Arctic Narratives
Discussion is moderated by Anna-Katri Kulmala, documentary film producer and founder of Arctic Utopias. Joining her to a panel are:
- Helmi Hagelin, Sámi artist and designer
- Dagmar Ilonoja, activist representing Operaatio Arktis
- Svetlana Romanova, filmmaker and artist
- Johannes Roviomaa, journalist and researcher
14:45 The panel discussion will be followed by following films
- Dear Arctic by RARE Media and Johannes Roviomaa (49 min)
- xиӈкэлтэн (Hinkelten) by Svetlana Romanova (15:40 min)
- Áfruvvá by Marja Helander (12:28 min)
- Muohtachalmmit by Hans Pieski and Arttu Nieminen (9:52min)
Event is part of the program of the Rovaniemi Arctic Spirit Conference but it is also open and free of charge for anyone interested. No prior registration is needed.
A warm welcome!
+358 40 513 7026