ENSINOR Project main researchers
Prof. Bruce Forbes (Project Coordinator), Arctic Centre, University of Lapland, Rovaniemi, Finland ; Dr. Florian Stammler, Arctic Centre, University of Lapland and Scott Polar Research Institute, University of Cambridge, UK ; Dr. Nina Meschtyb, Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia ; Dr. Tuula Tuisku, Thule Institute, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland ; PhD student Timo Kumpula, Department of Geography, University of Joensuu, Joensuu, Finland ; PhD student Anu Pajunen, Arctic Centre, University of Lapland ; MSc student Elina Kaarlejärvi, Arctic Centre, University of Lapland and Ecology and Environmental Science, Umeå University, Umeå, Sweden ; MSc student Juho Moilanen, Department of Geography, University of Joensuu, Joensuu, Finland
The ENSINOR project was funded under the Russia in Flux Program by the Academy of Finland. Additional research support came from the National Science Foundation Office of Polar Programs and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration through the Northern Eurasian Earth Science Partnership Initiative. The Finnish Ministry of Environment and Ministry for Foreign Affairs financed the December 2007 workshop in Rovaniemi.
In addition, we are grateful for the various types of research, logistical and financial support provided by the following key stakeholders and research partners: Department for International Affairs, Naryan-Mar, NAO ; Department for International Affairs, Salekhard, YNAO ; Salekhard Office of the Federal Ministry of Natural Resources, YNAO ; Yasavei Association of Nenets People, Naryan- Mar, NAO ; Yamal-Potomkam!, Salekhard, YNAO ; Yar-Sale Administration, YNAO ; SPK-Koop-Khoz Erv, Krasnoe, NAO ; Yarsalinki sovkhov, YNAO ; Baidaratski sovkhoz, YNAO ; Union of Obschini of Priural Raion, YNAO ; Administration of Priural Raion, YNAO ; Yamaltransstroi, Labytnangi, YNAO ; Nenets Information Analytical Centre, Naryan-Mar, NAO ; Resource Yamal, Salekhard, YNAO ; Ecological Station of Ural Branch Russian ; Academy of Sciences, Labytnangi, YNAO ; Institute of Plant and Animal Ecology, Ural ; Branch Russian Academy of Sciences, Ekaterinburg, Tyumen Oblast ; Museum Exhibition Complex Salekhard, YNAO ; Naryanmarneftegaz, Naryan Mar ; Severnaya neft, Usinsk, Komi Republic ; StatoilHydro, Norway ; Envia Oy, Espoo, Finland
- Forbes, B.C. 2008. Equity, vulnerability and resilience in social-ecological systems: a contemporary example from the Russian Arctic. Research in Social Problems and Public Policy 15: 203-236.
- Stammler, F. & Forbes, B.C. 2006. Oil and gas development in the Russian Arctic: West Siberia and Timan-Pechora. IWGIA Newsletter Indigenous Affairs, Arctic Oil and Gas Development 2-3/06: 48-57.
- Stammler, F. & Wilson, E. 2006. Dialogue for development: an exploration of relations between oil and gas companies, communities and the state. Sibirica. 5(2): 1-42.
- Stammler, F. & Peskov, V. 2008. Building a ’culture of dialogue’ among stakeholders in North-West Russian oil extraction. Europe-Asia Studies 60: 831- 849.
- NRC-National Research Council. 2003. Cumulative environmental effects of oil and gas activities on Alaska’s North Slope. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
Participants from reindeer herding, academia, local administration, industry and NGOs of the symposium on oil and gas development in NAO & YNAO, 10- 11 December 2007, Rovaniemi, Finland. see www.arcticcentre.org/ensinor
Compilers of this declaration: Florian Stammler & Bruce Forbes ; Comments & contact info: Dr Florian Stammler. email@example.com ; Photos: Bruce Forbes, Florian Stammler, Bryan Alexander (group photo of workshop participants)