Summer School on Arctic Studies 2019 will be held at Hokkaido University in Sapporo, Japan between July 27 – August 8, 2019.
The Finnish-Japanese Arctic Studies Program – a project led by the
Northern Institute for Environmental and Minority Law at the Arctic
Centre of the University of Lapland in collaboration with the
Universities of Helsinki, Hokkaido and Oulu – is pleased to welcome
applications from students willing to attend the multidisciplinary
Arctic summer school to be organized in Sapporo, Japan in between July
27 – August 8, 2019.
The topics to be covered include, but are not limited to:
• Climate change and the Arctic
• Glaciers and sea ice
• Arctic history
• Terrestrial and marine ecosystems
• International and environmental law applicable to the Arctic
• Human rights and the Arctic indigenous peoples
• Arctic institutions and governance
• Geopolitics and international relations in the Arctic
• Economy and business in the Arctic with focus on maritime trade and natural resources exploitations.
The summer school consist, for example, of lectures, reading
assignments, group works and is approximately equal to 5 ECTS credits.
Each participant will receive a certificate describing the content of
the course, but decisions concerning the transfer/acceptance of credits
are made by individual universities.
The summer school is intended to build and promote both academic
dialogues and stronger networks Japanese educators, students and
institutions dealing with Arctic studies.
Who can participate?
Advanced level undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled in one of the following Finnish Universities:
1. University of Helsinki
2. University of Lapland
3. University of Oulu
Approximately 15 students will be selected for scholarship. The Selected students will receive:
1. Flight costs covering travels between Finland and Japan
2. A fixed sum of 400 euro to cover accommodation and living expenses in Japan
3. Students are responsible to arrange their own accommodation. However,
some guidance and possible options will be provided after the selection
process is completed.
How to apply?
1. A free form application addressed to the contact persons indicated below.
2. A motivation letter in one page
3. Proof of enrollment in one of the Universities above
When to apply and to whom?
The application deadline is 28 February 2019. Please send the application materials to the following contact persons:
from the University of Helsinki: Prof. Veli-Pekka Tynkkynen
(email@example.com) & Elena Gorbacheva
• Students from the University of Lapland: Prof. Kamrul Hossain (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Students from the University of Oulu: Docent Ritva Kylli (email@example.com)
NOTE: Selected students will also have the opportunity to register
for Hokkaido Summer Institute with no additional cost given that the
Universities of Lapland, Oulu and Helsinki are partners with Hokkaido
University. For more information about Hokkaido Summer Institute, please
visit the link:
Attachment: Call for applications