Mazzullo Nuccio Elio
tel. +358 40 484 4295, (2767)
Updated list of publications and projects.
Researcher, Anthropology Research Group
Nuccio’s regional specialization is Finnish Lapland, with particular interest in Sámi reindeer herders. Topical interests include reindeer herding, hunters and gatherers, human-environment relationships, environmental politics and indigenous rights, landscape and perception, orientation, movement and place naming, perception of time, learning and skills, handicraft, narratives and identity, and anthropology of circumpolar peoples.
"Herders vs. Lumberjacks" - interview with Nuccio Mazzullo on the dispute between reindeer herders and forest cuttings in Nellim.
- 1982-86: Faculty of Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures, University of Catania, Catania, Italia; transferred to University of Urbino
- 1983: English language certificate (FCE), 1985: (CPE) Westminster Kingsway College, London, United Kingdom
- 1986-1992: Degree in Sociology. (Dott. in Sociologia). Thesis title: “Introduzione alla cultura Sámi, con particolare riferimento ai Koltta Sámi” (Introduction to Sámi Culture, with particular reference to the Skolts). Faculty of Sociology, Università degli Studi di Urbino, Italia.
- 1993-1994: MA (Econ) in Social Anthropology, Thesis Title “Environment, memory, and change among the Sámi” Department of Social Anthropology, University of Manchester, UK
- 1994-1995: MPhil. Social Anthropology (Transferred to PhD.) Department of Social Anthropology, University of Manchester, UK.
- 1995-2005: PhD in Social Anthropology, Department of Social Anthropology, University of Manchester, UK. Thesis Title “Perception, tradition and environment among Sámi people in Northeastern Finland”.
- 1991: Temporary Italian language lecturer, University of Jyväskylä. Department of Romance and Classical languages, Finland.
- 1993: Sociology Researcher, Planning and realisation of a research project, focusing on the quality of life in the old people homes of the province of Ragusa, Sicily. Sponsored by the Ministry of Education. Centro di Cultura Popolare di Ispica (UNLA), Italia.
- 1993-95, 1997-2001, Tutorial teaching, Department of Social Anthropology, University of Manchester, Tutorials for first and second year students, on the following courses: Culture and Society, Anthropology and Social Change, Kinship and social life, Anthropology 1 A and 1 B, Regional Anthropology: Melanesia. UK.
Research and fieldwork
- November 1990- April 1992 Inari, Finnish Lapland. Fieldwork conducted in order to investigate Sámi culture in its general aspects and in particular to analyse and compare present Sámi people’s relationship to nature with respect to previous descriptions in existing ethnographic literature and in sámi narratives. The result of the investigation was central to the writing of the thesis for the degree in sociology
- 1993: Sociological research focusing on old people’s homes, Ragusa. Planning and realisation (interviews, analysis and report write up) of a research project, focusing on the quality of life in the old people’s homes of the province of Ragusa, Sicily. Sponsored by the Italian Ministry of Education.
- October 1995- June 1997, Anthropological research in Inari, Finnish Lapland. Fieldwork conducted to continue and build upon my previous fieldwork experience in the Sámi village of Inari and to extend it also to other neighbouring villages. The aim of the research is to investigate the different aspects related to sámi perception of the environment and to address issues of tradition and cultural change. The fieldwork included also language and handicraft training.
- November 2004: Collaboration with the European Department of the British Museum, to vision and comment on their Sámi collection and update some of their descriptions. For the purpose a private exhibition was organised in a separate branch of the British Museum, and their Sámi collection was on display.
- 2008 - 2012: Power Technologies’ productions of space: Sámi territoriality and indigenity project. The main aim of the research project is to examine the role played by the various definitions of the Sámi as "indigenous people" in present-day conflicts about space and resources.
- Strauss, H. & Mazzullo, N. (2014). Narratives, bureaucracies and indigenous legal orders: Resource governance in Finnish Lapland. in Powell, R.G. & Dodds, K. (eds) Polar Geopolitics? Knowledges, Resources and Legal Regimes. Edward Elgar Publishers.
- Miggelbrink, J., Habeck, J.O., Mazzullo, N. and Koch, P. (eds. 2013). Nomadic and Indigenous Spaces: Productions and Cognitions. Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate
- Mazzullo, N. (2013). The Nellim Forest Conflict in Finnish Lapland: Between state Forest mapping and local Forest living. Chapter 5 in Miggelbrink, J., Habeck, J.O., Mazzullo, N. and Koch, P. (eds). Nomadic and Indigenous Spaces: Productions and Cognitions. Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate
- 2012 - Mazzullo, N.: The sense of time in the north: a Sami perspective, in Polar Record, Quarterly Journal of the Scott Polar Research Institute, vol 48 issue 3, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 214–222.
- 2012 - Mazzullo N., Тождества в Процессе Создания: Идентичность Сами и Землепользование в Контексте Стратегии Развития в Северной Финляндии. In Иванова А.А. (Ed). Правовые и Социальные Проблемы Развития Народов Арктики. Якутск: СФГУ, с.46-56.
- 2011 - Miggelbrink J., Mazzullo N. E., Winterweide und Holzlieferant. Interessenkonflikte bei der Waldnutzung in Nordfinnland, in Geographische Rundschau 07-08, pp. 36-42.
- 2011 - Mazzullo N. Reindeer. Sápmi. Sámi. Annegret Nippa (ed.) Kleines abc des Nomadismus, Hamburg: Museum für Völkerkunde.
- 2010: More than meat on the hoof? Social significance of reindeer among Finnish Saami in a rationalized pastoralist economy, in Good to Eat, Good to Live with: Nomads and the Animals in Northern Eurasia and Africa. Eds. Florian Stammler and Hiroki Takakura, Northeast Asian Study Series 11, Center for Northeast Asia Studies (CNEAS), Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan, pp. 101-119.
- 2009: Sápmi: a symbolic re-appropriation of Lapland as Saamiland, in Máttut – Máddagat: The Roots of Saami Ethnicities, Societies and Spaces / Places. Ed. Tiina Äikäs, publication of Giellagas Institute, 12; University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland, pp174-185.
- 2008 - Mazzullo N. and Ingold T.: Being Along: Place, Time and Movement among Sámi People. In: Mobility and Place: Enacting European Peripheries, Edited by Jørgen Ole Bærenholdt and Brynhild Granås, Ashgate Publishing Ltd, Aldershot, U.K.
- 2007: Conservazione dell’Ambiente e Interessi Locali Nella Lapponia Finlandese. (Italian translation of Environmental Conservation and Local Interests in Finnish Lapland). in Settentrione Nuova Serie, Rivista di studi italo-finlandesi (Journal of Italo-Finnic Studies), University Of Turku.
- 2005: Environmental Conservation and Local Interests in Finnish Lapland. In Conservation and
Society, vol.3(2):388-406. Bangalore.
- 2002: Book Review; Odner, K. Tradition and transmission: Bantu, Indo-European and
Circumpolar great traditions. In Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 8(4): 769. London.
- 1994: La Natura nell’Immaginario Sámi: Il rapporto con la natura attraverso la rilettura di alcune
leggende dei Kolttasámi e dei Sámi del Nord. (translation: Nature in the Sámi Imaginary: the relation with Nature through a reinterpretation of some legends of the Skolt and of the North Sámi).
- 1992: Il Luogo del popolo dei Sámi (engl.: The Place of the Sámi people). In La Cultura Tecnologica & il Pensiero del Movimento, (ed.) Maria Luisa Conti, Faculty of Architecture, University of Palermo.