LL.M., Doctoral Candidate
Northern Institute for Environmental and Minority Law
Arctic Centre / University of Lapland
P.O. Box 122
FIN-96101 Rovaniemi, Finland
Twitter account: @duycks
Sébastien researches primarily on issues related to environmental (human) rights. His main field of expertise relates to the protection and respect of human rights in the context of climate change and climate policies and the role played by various international institutions. Sébastien’s research also relates to public participation in international environmental governance.
Sébastien is also a senior attorney at the Center for International Environmental Law.
Fields of Research:
- Human Rights
- International Environmental Law
- Climate Change Governance
- International Law on Sustainable Development
- Arctic Governance
Edited Books and Special Issues
- Routledge Handbook of Human Rights and Climate Governance, Sébastien Duyck, Sébastien Jodoin & Alyssa Johl (eds.), (Abingdon-on-Thames: Routledge, 2018)
- Arctic Law and Governance: the role of China, the EU and Finland, Timo Koivurova, Tianbao QIN, Sébastien Duyck and Tapio Nykanen, (Oxford: Hart Publishing, 2016)
- “Special issue on Public Participation and Climate Governance”, Sébastien Jodoin and Katherine Lofts (eds.), Vol. 24(2) Review of European, Comparative and International Environmental Law (2015)
Peer Reviewed Publications
- “The Paris Climate Agreement and the Protection of Human Rights in a Changing Climate”, Yearbook of International Environmental Law 26 (2017)
- “Conservation of Marine Living Resources and Fisheries Management in the Arctic: Perspectives from Non-Arctic Actors”, in Timo Koivurova, Tianbao QIN, Sébastien Duyck and Tapio Nykanen, Arctic Law and Governance: the role of China, the EU and Finland, Oxford: Hart Publishing, 2016
- “Promoting the Principles of the Aarhus Convention in International Forums: Case Study on the UN Climate Change Regime”, Review of European, Comparative and International Environmental Law (2015)
- “Climate Change in the Arctic”, with Mikko Strahlendorff et al, in The Changing Arctic and the European Union, Adam Stępień, Timo Koivurova and Paula Kankaanpää (eds.) Leiden: Brill Editions (2015)
- “Measurement, Reporting and Verification in the 2015 climate agreement: Promoting Compliance through Transparency and the Participation of NGOs”, in Carbon and Climate Law Review (2014)
- “Climate Change and Human Rights”, with Timo Koivurova and Leena Heinämäki, in Climate Change and the Law, Erkki J. Hollo, Kati Kulovesi, Michael Mehling (editors), Ius Gentium: Comparative Perspectives on Law and Justice Volume 21 (2013), Dordrecht: Springer
- "Which Canary in the Coalmine? The Arctic in the International Climate Change Regime", Sébastien Duyck, in The Yearbook of Polar Law, Vol. 4, Timo Koivurova, Gudmundur Alfredsson and Waliul Hasanat (eds.), Leiden: Brill Editions, 583 - 617 PDF "Which Canary..."
- “Participation of non-state actors in Arctic environmental governance”, Sébastien Duyck, Nordia Geographical Publications, 40:4 (2012) 99-110. PDF "Participation of non-state..."
- “Drawing Lessons for Arctic Governance from the Antarctic Treaty System”, Sébastien Duyck, in The Yearbook of Polar Law, Vol. 3, Gudmundur Alfredsson and Timo Koivurova (eds.), Leiden: Brill Editions (2011). PDF "Drawing Lessons..."
- “The present and future competence of the European Union in the Arctic”, Timo Koivurova, Kai Kokko, Sebastien Duyck, Nikolas Sellheim and Adam Stepien, Polar Record (2011). PDF "The present and future..."
- “A new ocean to govern: drawing from the lessons learned in marine management to govern the emerging Arctic Ocean", Timo Koivurova and Sébastien Duyck, in The Future of International Enviro”nmental Law and its Role in Development, David Leary and Balakrishna Pisupati (eds.), Tokyo: United Nations University Press (2010). At http://unu.edu/publications/books/the-future-of-international-environmental-law.html#overview
- “The Road from Paris to Sustainable Development Effectively Integrating Human Rights and Gender Equality into Climate Actions of EU institutions”, with Armelle Gouritin, Commissioned by the Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung, European Union (2017)
- “Human Rights into Climate Actions After Paris: Opportunities for the UNFCCC, the Human Rights Institutions and the G-20”, with Yves Lador, Friedrich Ebert Stiftung: Human Rights and International Climate Politics Paper Series (2016)
- “Promoting the Realization of the Sustainable Development Goals in the Arctic”, with Timo Koivurova, Malgorzata Smieszek, Adam Stepien, Briefing note for the Finnish Government (2016)
- “The Arctic after the Paris Climate Agreement”, with Timo Koivurova, Malgorzata Smieszek, Adam Stepien,Briefing note for the Finnish Government (2016)
- “The unfolding discussions around agriculture at the UNFCCC: progress and players”, Report to the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (2015), with Agni Kalfagianni
- “Legal Systems”, in Joan Larsen and Gail Fondahl, Arctic Human Development Report: Regional Processes and Global Linkages,Copenhagen: Nordic Council of Ministers (2015), with Nigel Banks, Timo Koivurova et al
- “Legal Issues Related to Options for a Regional Seas-Type Arrangement for the Arctic Ocean”, Research Paper commissioned by the National Resources Defense Council (2014)
- "Promoting Human Rights in the Future Climate Regime - Open Peer Commentary", Alyssa Johl and Sébastien Duyck, Ethics, Policy and Environment, Vol. 15, (2012) No. 3, 298-302 PDF "Promoting Human Rights..."
- "EU Arctic Footprint and Policy Assessment: Final Report", Cavalieri, Sandra, Emily McGlynn, Susanah Stoessel, Jenny Troeltzsch, Martin Bruckner, Christine Polzin, Timo Koivurova, Kamrul Hossain, Nikolas Sellheim, Sébastien Duyck, Adam Stepien and Annika Nilsson, Berlin: Ecologic Institute (2010). At https://arctic-footprint.eu/sites/default/files/AFPA_Final_Report.pdf
- "EU competencies affecting the Arctic", Timo Koivurova, Kai Kokko, Sébastien Duyck, Nikolas Sellheim, Adam Stepien, Brussels: European Parliament (2010). At http://arctic-footprint.eu/sites/default/files/AFPA_Final_Report.pdf
- "Assessment of possible relations or implications of Legally Binding Agreement Content Options 2 and 3 on selected international forest related agreements and on the EU competence", Timo Koivurova, Kai Kokko, Sébastien Duyck, Ministerial Conference on the Protection of Forests in Europe (2009). At http://www.foresteurope.org/filestore/foresteurope/Meetings/2009/3rd_WG_LBA_Rome_September_2009/BP5implicationanalysis.pdf
- "Delegation to Private Actors of the Competences in Validation and Verification in the Kyoto Protocol Flexibility Mechanisms: Accountability Issues and the Role of the Public", Sébastien Duyck, Working paper presented at the 7th Global Administrative Law Seminar - Viterbo 2011 PDF "Delegation to Private..."
- "The Other Moratorium - Freezing Central Arctic Fisheries as the Ice Withdraws" (Peer-Reviewed Commentary), Sébastien Duyck, Tvergastein - Interdisciplinary Journal of the Environment, Vol. 2 (2012), 91-93 PDF "The Other Moratorium..."
- "Rio+20 Participation Guide", Ben Vanpeperstraete, Saba Loftus, Ward Claerbout, Sébastien Duyck, Michaela Hogenboom, Ivana Savic, Rio Plus Twenties (2011)
- “Viewpoints”, Ben Vanpeperstraete, Sebastien Duyck, Natural Resources Forum 35 (2011)