Researcher, M.A., PhD candidate
Anthropology Research Group
tel. +358 (0)40 484 4418, (4418)
E-mail: Lukas.Allemann(at) ulapland.fi
Arctic Centre, University of Lapland
PL 122, FIN-96101 Rovaniemi, Finland
Lukas holds a Master’s degree from the University of Basel (Switzerland) in Eastern European History and Russian Language and Literature. During his studies Lukas specialised in oral history, and his Master’s thesis is an oral history-based inquiry into the change of the life conditions of the Sámi living on the Kola Peninsula during the 20th century. After his graduation Lukas worked for several years as an embassy translator and interpreter in Moscow.
Lukas joined the ORHELIA Project in spring 2013 and holds a researcher position at the University of Lapland. He specialises on the Kola Peninsula field site. His article-based PhD Thesis is a direct outcome of the ORHELIA project and due to be finished in 2018. The topic of his PhD research on the crossroads of history and anthropology is about the social outcomes of relocation policies of the Soviet state among its Northern indigenous minorities on the example of the Russian Sami.
Research topics and interests
- Social engineering, and particularly resettlements, among indigenous and para-indigenous minorities in Russia, and its social consequences, with a focus on the Sami
- New and old self-identification models among Kola Sami
- Life conditions of Jewish emigrants from the former USSR in their former home country
- Oral history methodology; the difference between experienced vs. narrated life stories; memory as a giver of meaning and identity
- 2013 Russian as a Foreign Language Certificate (TRKI-4=highest level, C2), Moscow State Lomonosov University
- 2006-2009 Master of Arts in Eastern European History and Slavic Studies at the University of Basel, Switzerland
- 2003-2006 Bachelor of Arts in Russian Language and Literature and General History at the University of Fribourg, Switzerland
- 2001-2002 Courses of Russian Language and History at Murmansk Pedagogical University, Murmansk, Russia
- May 2014 till now Researcher at the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Lapland, and member of the Arctic Anthropology Research Team of the Arctic Centre
- Feb-Jun 2008 Tutor at the Slavonic Seminar of the University of Basel, teaching of Old Slavonic Language
- Feb-Jun 2006 Supporting assistant and tutor at the Institute for Slavonic Languages and Literature of the University of Bern, teaching Old Slavonic Language
- • 2013-2015 Repeated fieldwork in the Murmansk Region
- Summer 2008: Kola Peninsula, field work with Sámi elders, biographical interviews for Master’s thesis research
- Summer 2007: volunteer work in Kyrgyzstan for the Central Asia Mountain Partnership (development cooperation programme financed by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation SDC) within a development cooperation training for students of the University of Basel (Switzerland)
- Spring 2007: oral history interviews within the Jewish community of Lörrach (Germany) for the Oral History Project “Jüdische Lebenswelten in der Sowjetunion“ (“Jewish life worlds in the Soviet Union”), University of Basel, supervised by Professor Heiko Haumann
- English edition: Allemann, L. (2013). The Sami of the Kola Peninsula: About the life of an ethnic minority in the Soviet Union. [e-book] Tromsø: Septentrio Academic Publishing. Available through: Samisk senters skriftserie, http://dx.doi.org/10.7557/sss.2013.19
- Allemann, L. (2010). Die Samen der Kola-Halbinsel: Über das Leben einer ethnischen Minderheit in der Sowjetunion. Frankfurt am Main [u.a.]: Lang. (Series: Menschen und Strukturen. Historisch-sozialwissenschaftliche Studien, Vol. 18, ed. by Heiko Haumann, http://www.peterlang.com/?261201)
- Allemann, L. (forthcoming). “I do not know if Mum knew what was going on”: Social reproduction in boarding schools in Soviet Lapland. Acta Borealia.
- Allemann, L. (2017). Yesterday’s Memories, Today’s Discourses: The Struggle of the Russian Sámi to Construct a Meaningful Past. Arctic Anthropology, 54(1), 1–21. https://doi.org/10.3368/aa.54.1.1
- Allemann, L., & Dudeck, S. (2017). Sharing Oral History With Arctic Indigenous Communities: Ethical Implications of Bringing Back Research Results. Qualitative Inquiry. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077800417738800
- Allemann, L. (2012). Saamy kol`skogo poluostrova: o zhizni etnicheskogo men`shinstva v Sovetskom Soiuze: novye perspektivy cherez biograficheskie interviu. Referativnyi Zhurnal, Istoriia, RAN INION, (3), pp. 198-203.
- Allemann, L. (2011). "Sud’ba kol’skikh saamov i infrastrukturnoe razvitie Kol’skogo poluostrova v sovetskoe vremia: novye perspektivy cherez ustnuiu istoriiu", paper presented at Mezhregional’naia nauchno-prakticheskaia konferentsiia c mezhdunarodnym uchastiem. Murmanskii Gosudarstvennyi Gumanitarnyi Universitet, 3-4 Nov 2011. Murmansk: MGGU, pp. 31-32.
- Dudeck, S., & Allemann, L. (2016). Indigene Oral History entlang des Eismeeres von Lappland bis zum Lena-Delta. In G. Saxinger, P. Schweitzer, & S. Donecker (Eds.), Arktis und Subarktis: Geschichte, Kultur, Gesellschaft (pp. 83–102). Wien: New Academic Press.
- Krömer, A., & Allemann, L. (2016). Arktische Assimilierungspolitiken: Indigene Kinder in den Internatsschulen des 20. Jahrhunderts. In G. Saxinger, P. Schweitzer, & S. Donecker (Eds.), Arktis und Subarktis: Geschichte, Kultur, Gesellschaft (pp. 103–120). Wien: New Academic Press.
- Allemann, L. (2018, March 25). Vospominaniia korennykh zhitelei Severa o natsional’nykh i vspomogatel’nykh shkolakh-internatakh – Testimonies about boarding schools among indigenous people in Russia’s North. https://arcticanthropology.org/2018/03/25/some-testimonies-about-boarding-schools/
- Allemann, L. (2016, May 18). Were discussions on Russia at the Arctic Frontiers conference balanced? https://youngscientistforum.wordpress.com/2016/05/18/were-discussions-on-russia-at-the-arctic-frontiers-conference-balanced/
- Allemann, L. (2015, October 19). A Memory Stick Packed With Memory – Karta pamiati zapolnennaia pamiat’iu. https://arcticanthropology.org/2015/10/19/a-memory-stick-packed-with-memory/
- Allemann, L. (2014, May 17). ORHELIA’s trip to Lovozero. https://arcticanthropology.org/2014/05/17/orhelias-trip-to-lovozero-2/
- Allemann, L. (2014, February 11). Celebrating the Sámi National Day in Murmansk. https://arcticanthropology.org/2014/02/11/celebrating-the-sami-national-day-in-murmansk/
- Allemann, L. (2013, December 9). An Unexpected Encounter at the Flight Training Unit. https://arcticanthropology.org/2013/12/09/an-unexpected-encounter-at-the-flight-training-unit/