Research Professor, PhD
Arctic Global Change research group / Arktinen globaalimuutos
John Moore, British, Research Professor at University of Lapland Finland, Chief Scientist, College of Global Change and Earth System Science of Beijing Normal University, Guest professor, Polar Research Institute of China. Finnish representative on the International Arctic Science Committee, Glaciology Group. Editorial board member for The Cryosphere and Chinese Journal of Polar Science.
Research Activities: Past sea level change and prediction; natural and anthropogenic climate forcing; impacts of extreme events, and geoengineering scenarios. Developing new advanced statistical methods for time series analysis, with the aim of a mechanistic understanding of the climate system. Extraction of paleoclimate information from physical and chemical analysis of Arctic and Antarctic ice cores. Geophysical field work and computer modelling of glacier flow and evolution. Early work on the development of a theoretical basis for electrical conduction in ice as function of chemical impurities, followed by radar studies of Svalbard polythermal glaciers.
Cooperation mainly with Polar Research Institute of China, Tibetan Plateau Research Institute, Polish academy of Sciences and University of Uppsala . Ice core research with Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, French and British partners.
A few recent publications:
Comprehensive list of the articles is here.
- Grinsted, A. J.C. Moore, and S. Jevrejeva 2013 Projected Atlantic tropical cyclone threat from rising temperatures Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, doi/10.1073/pnas.1209980110
- Z. Zhang, Z. and J.C. Moore 2012 Comments on Z. Ge's paper: Significance tests for the wavelet power and the wavelet power spectrum, Ann. Geophys. 30:12, 1743-1750
- Jevrejeva, S., J.C. Moore and A. Grinsted, 2012, Potential for bias in 21st century sea level projections from semi-empirical models, Journal of Geophysical Research, 117, D20116, doi:10.1029/2012JD017704
- Grinsted, A. J.C. Moore, and S. Jevrejeva 2012, Homogeneous record of Atlantic hurricane surge threat since 1923, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1209542109
- Wei, T. S. Yang, J.C. Moore, P. Shi, X. Cui, Q. Duan, B. Xu, Y. Dai, W. Yuan, X. Wei, Z. Yang, T. Wen, F. Teng, Y. Gao, J. Chou, X. Yan, Z. Wei, Y. Guo, Y. Jiang, X. Gao, K. Wang, X. Zheng, F. Ren, S. Lv, Y. Yu, B. Liu, Y. Luo, W. Li, D. Ji, J. Feng, Q. Wu, H. Cheng, J. He, C. Fu, D. Ye, G. Xu, W. Dong 2012, Developed and developing world responsibilities for historical climate change and CO2 mitigation, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 109, 32 12911-12915 doi/10.1073/pnas.1203282109
- Schäfer, M., T. Zwinger, P. Christoffersen, F. Gillet-Chaulet, K. Laakso, R. Pettersson, V.A. Pohjola, T. Strozzi, and J.C. Moore 2012, Sensitivity of basal conditions in an inverse model: Vestfonna Ice-Cap, Nordaustlandet/Svalbard, The Cryosphere 6, 771-783
- Moore, J.C., E. Beaudon, S. Kang, D. Divine, E. Isaksson, V.A. Pohjola, R Van de Wal, 2012 Statistical extraction of volcanic sulphate from non-polar ice cores, Journal of Geophysical Research doi:10.1029/2011JD016592
- Zhang, Z., and J.C. MOORE 2012 Distribution of Fourier power spectrum of climatic background noise, Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Software Engineering
- Jevrejeva, S. J. C. Moore and A. Grinsted, 2012 Sea level projections to AD2500 with a new generation of climate change scenarios, Global and Planetary Change, 80, doi.org/10.1016/j.gloplacha.2011.09.006
- Zhang, Z. and J.C. Moore 2011 Empirical Mode Decomposition and Significance Tests of Temperature Time Series, American Journal of Engineering and Technology Research,
- Zhang Z and J.C. MOORE, 2011, Intrinsic feature extraction in the COI of wavelet power spectra of climatic signals, Proceedings of IEEE 4th International Conference on Image and Signal Processing, 2380-2382.
- van der Wel, L.G., H. J. Streurman, E. Isaksson, M. M. Helsen, R. S. W. van de Wal, T. Martma, V. A. Pohjola, J. C. MOORE, H.A.J Meijer, 2011, Using high-resolution tritium profiles to quantify the effects of melt on two Spitsbergen ice cores, Journal of Glaciology 57, 206, t11J074
- Pohjola, V.A., P. Christoffersen, L. Kolondra, J.C. MOORE, R. Pettersson, M. Schäfer, T. Strozzi, A. Hubbard, U. Jonsell and C.H. Reijmer , 2011 Spatial distribution and change in the surface ice-velocity field of Vestfonna ice cap, Nordaustlandet, Svalbard, 1995-2010 using geodetic and satellite interferometry data. Geografiska Annaler: Series A, Physical Geography DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-0459.2011.00441.x
- Beaudon, E. L. Arppe, U. Jonsell, T. Martma, M. Moller, J.C. MOORE, and V. Pohjola, 2011 Spatial and temporal variability of precipitation volume from shallow cores from Vestfonna ice cap (Nordaustlandet, Svalbard). Geografiska Annaler: Series A, Physical Geography DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-0459.2011.00439.x
- Zhang, Z. and J.C. MOORE, 2011, Improved significance testing of wavelet power spectrum near data boundaries as applied to polar research, Advances in Polar Science 22, 3, 192-198 DOI 10.3724/SP.J.1085.2011.00192
- Grinsted, A., S. Jevrejeva and J.C. MOORE, 2011 Comment on the subsidence adjustment applied to the Kemp et al. proxy of North Carolina relative sea level. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 108, 40 E781-E782 10.1073/pnas.1111523108
- Zhang, Z. and J.C. MOORE 2011 New significance test methods for Fourier analysis of geophysical time series, Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics 18, 643-652, doi:10.5194/npg-18-643-2011
- Divine, D., E. Isaksson, F. Godtliebsen, T. Martma H. Meijer, J.C. MOORE, V. Pohjola, R.S.W. van de Wal, 2011 A thousand years of winter surface air temperature variations in Svalbard and northern Norway reconstructed from ice core data, Polar Research, 30, 7379, DOI: 10.3402/polar.v30i0.7379
- MOORE, J. C., S. Jevrejeva and A. Grinsted, 2011 The historical global sea level budget, Annals of Glaciology 52(59).
- J. C. Moore, S. Jevrejeva, and A. Grinsted, (2010) Efficacy of geoengineering to limit 21st century sea level rise, Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences, doi/10.1073/pnas.1008153107
- Jevrejeva, S., A. Grinsted and J.C. Moore, (2009) Anthropogenic forcing dominates sea level rise since 1850, Geophysical Research Letters doi:10.1029/2009GL040216
- Moore, J. C., A. Grinsted, and S. Jevrejeva (2009) Wavelet-lag regression analysis of Atlantic tropical cyclone dependence on ENSO and Atlantic thermohaline variability Proceedings of the 1st International Summit on Hurricanes and Climate Change., J.B. Elsner & T. Jagger (Eds.), Springer
- Beaudon, E. and J.C. Moore, (2009) Frost flower chemical signature in winter snow on Vestfonna ice cap (Nordaustlandet, Svalbard), The Cryosphere 3, 147-154
- Macias Fauria, M, A. Grinsted, S. Helama, J. C. Moore, M. Timonen, E. Isaksson, and M. Eronen (2009) Unprecedented 20th century low values of sea ice extent in the Western Nordic Seas since A.D. 1200. Climate Dynamics doi: 10.1007/s00382-009-0610-z
- Grinsted, A., J. C. Moore, and S. Jevrejeva, 2007 Observational evidence for volcanic impact on sea level and the global water cycle Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences 104 (50) 19730-19734, doi 10.1073_pnas.0705825104.
- Virkkunen, K., J. C. Moore, E. Isaksson, V. Pohjola, P. Perämäki, T. Kekonen, 2007 Warm summers and ion concentrations in snow: present day and Medieval Warm Period comparisons from snowpits and an ice core from Lomonosovfonna, Svalbard, Journal of Glaciology, 53 (183), 623-634.
- Sinisalo, A., A. Grinsted, J.C. Moore, H. Meijer and T. Martma, 2007 Inferences from stable water isotopes on the Holocene evolution of Scharffenbergbotnen blue ice area, East Antarctica, Journal of Glaciology, 53 (182), 427-433
- Moore, J.C., T. Kekonen, A. Grinsted and E. Isaksson, 2006 Sulfate Source Inventories From a Svalbard Ice Core Record Spanning the Industrial Revolution. Journal of Geophysical Research, D15307, 10.1029/2005JD006453
- Moore, J.C., F. Nishio, S. Fujita, H. Narita, E. Pasteur, A. Grinsted, A. Sinisalo and N. Maeno, 2006 Interpreting ancient ice in a shallow ice core from the South Yamato (Antarctica) blue ice area using flow modeling and compositional matching to deep ice cores. Journal of Geophysical Research D16302, 10.1029/2005JD006343