LL.M., Doctoral Candidate
Northern Institute for Environmental and Minority Law
Arctic Centre / University of Lapland
P.O. Box 122
FIN-96101 Rovaniemi, Finland
Twitter account: @duycks
Tel. +358 (0)40 4844285
Room 59-12, Privatel 2592
Sébastien is currently writing his doctoral dissertation on the procedural rights of stakeholders in the international climate change regime. Thus, his main area of focus relates to the right of participation, the right of access to information, and the right of access to judicial remedy in international environmental decision-making. Sébastien’s research is funded by the Finnish Graduate School for Human Rights Research. Through his participation to projects of the Northern Institute for Environmental and Minority Law, and of the Arctic Centre, Sébastien also conducts research focused on Arctic environmental governance.
Fields of interest
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Human Rights
- International Environmental Law
- Climate Change Governance
- International Law on Sustainable Development
- Arctic Governance
- "Promoting Human Rights in the Future Climate Regime - Open Peer Commentary", Alyssa Johl and Sébastien Duyck, Ethics, Policy and Environment, Vol. 15, No. 3, 298-302 PDF "Promoting Human Rights..."
- "Which Canary in the Coalmine? The Arctic in the International Climate Change Regime", Sébastien Duyck, in The Yearbook of Polar Law, Vol. 4, Timo Koivurova, Gudmundur Alfredsson and Waliul Hasanat (eds.), Leiden: Brill Editions, 583 - 617 PDF "Which Canary..."
- “Participation of non-state actors in Arctic environmental governance”, Sébastien Duyck, Nordia Geographical Publications, 40:4 (2012) 99-110. PDF "Participation of non-state..."
“Drawing Lessons for Arctic Governance from the Antarctic Treaty System”, Sébastien Duyck, in The Yearbook of Polar Law, Vol. 3, Gudmundur Alfredsson and Timo Koivurova (eds.), Leiden: Brill Editions (2011). PDF "Drawing Lessons..."
“The present and future competence of the European Union in the Arctic”, Timo Koivurova, Kai Kokko, Sebastien Duyck, Nikolas Sellheim and Adam Stepien, Polar Record (2011). PDF "The present and future..."
- “A new ocean to govern: drawing from the lessons learned in marine management to govern the emerging Arctic Ocean", Timo Koivurova and Sébastien Duyck, in The Future of International Enviro”nmental Law and its Role in Development, David Leary and Balakrishna Pisupati (eds.), Tokyo: United Nations University Press (2010). At http://unu.edu/publications/books/the-future-of-international-environmental-law.html#overview
- "EU Arctic Footprint and Policy Assessment: Final Report", Cavalieri, Sandra, Emily McGlynn, Susanah Stoessel, Jenny Troeltzsch,
Martin Bruckner, Christine Polzin, Timo Koivurova, Kamrul Hossain,
Nikolas Sellheim, Sébastien Duyck, Adam Stepien and Annika Nilsson, Berlin: Ecologic Institute (2010). At http://www.europarl.europa.eu/activities/committees/studies/download.do?language=sv&file=33381
- "EU competencies affecting the Arctic", Timo Koivurova, Kai Kokko, Sébastien Duyck, Nikolas Sellheim, Adam Stepien, Brussels: European Parliament (2010). At http://arctic-footprint.eu/sites/default/files/AFPA_Final_Report.pdf
"Assessment of possible relations or implications of Legally Binding Agreement Content Options 2 and 3 on selected international forest related agreements and on the EU competence", Timo Koivurova, Kai Kokko, Sébastien Duyck, Ministerial Conference on the Protection of Forests in Europe (2009). At http://www.foresteurope.org/filestore/foresteurope/Meetings/2009/3rd_WG_LBA_Rome_September_2009/BP5implicationanalysis.pdf
- "Delegation to Private Actors of the Competences in Validation and Verification in the Kyoto Protocol Flexibility Mechanisms: Accountability Issues and the Role of the Public", Sébastien Duyck, Working paper presented at the 7th Global Administrative Law Seminar - Viterbo 2011 PDF "Delegation to Private..."
- "The Other Moratorium - Freezing Central Arctic Fisheries as the Ice Withdraws" (Peer-Reviewed Commentary), Sébastien Duyck, Tvergastein - Interdisciplinary Journal of the Environment, Vol. 2 (2012), 91-93 PDF "The Other Moratorium..."
- "Rio+20 Participation Guide", Ben Vanpeperstraete, Saba Loftus, Ward Claerbout, Sébastien Duyck, Michaela Hogenboom, Ivana Savic, Rio Plus Twenties (2011)
- “Viewpoints”, Ben Vanpeperstraete, Sebastien Duyck, Natural Resources Forum 35 (2011)
Former Research Projects
EU competencies affecting the Arctic, Commissioned by the EU Parliament, under the lead of the Trans-European Policy Studies Association, Summer 2010.
Arctic Footprint and Policy Assessment, Commissioned by the EU Commission, DG Environment, under the lead of the Aaron Best, Ecologic Institute, 2010.
Assessment of possible implications of Legally Binding Agreement, Commissioned by the Ministerial Conference of the Protection of Forests in Europe, Faculty of Law, University of Lapland, Summer 2009.