Kirkenes is the administrative centre of S0r-Varanger Kommune and the capital of official Barents cooperation. It is also an area where Norwegians, Russians, Finns and Sami meet and mingle.
Population (town): 3 500
Population (municipality): 10 000
Situated on the shore of the Arctic Ocean
'The capital of the Barents'
History of boom-and-bust economies, much like other towns dependent on a single resource
- Most livelihoods have relied on fishing and iron ore mining
- Ambition to become a global transportation hub
- Northern Sea Route from Europe to Asia
- Pushing for rail link from the Arctic Ocean to the Baltic Sea
- Considerable immigration from Russia