Dr. Hossain, Kamrul
Director of the Northern Institute for Environmental and Minority Law, Arctic Centre/University of Lapland, Adjunct Professor of International Law
Tel. +358 (0)40 484 4281, (3101)
Email: khossain at ulapland.fi
- LL.B. (Honours.) LL.M (Dhaka), LL.M (Helsinki), LL.M (Aix-en-Provence),
- LL.Lic. (Helsinki)
- LL.D (Lapland)
- International Environmental Laws, Environmental Governance and Sustainable Development with particular focus on the Arctic
- Human Rights applicable to Arctic Indigenous Peoples
- Law of the Sea, Arctic Ocean and Marine Resource Management
- International Law of collective security
- Humanitarian Law and Human Security
Most Recent Publications:
- Castro, Damian; Hossain, Kamrul & Carolina Tytelman (2016). Arctic Ontologies: Reframing the Relationship between Humans and Rangifer, Polar Geography (forthcoming).
- Morris, Kathleen and Hossain, Kamrul (2016). Legal Instruments for Marine Sanctuary in the High Arctic, LAWS (forthcoming).
- Hossain, Kamrul (2016). Securitizing the Arctic Indigenous Peoples: A Community Security Perspective with Special Reference to the Sámi of the European High North, Polar Science (forthcoming).
- Hossain, Kamrul and Hiroshi Maruyama (2016). Japan’s admission to the Arctic Council and commitment to the rights of its indigenous Ainu people, The Polar Journal (forthcoming).
- Hossain, Kamrul; J. Miguel Roncero Martin, Anna Petrétei, and Filip Holienčin (2016). Indigenous peoples of the North and human security. In Hossain, Kamrul & Anna Petrétei (eds.) (2016). Understanding the Many Faces of Human Security: Perspectives of Northern Indigenous Peoples, Brill Academic Publishers, the Netherlands (forthcoming).
- Hossain, Kamrul (2016). Indigenous Security Governance in the North: Structure and Promotional Tools. Hossain, Kamrul & Anna Petrétei (eds.) (2016). Understanding the Many Faces of Human Security: Perspectives of Northern Indigenous Peoples, Brill Academic Publishers, the Netherlands (forthcoming).
- Hossain, Kamrul (2016). Protection of Community Culture as Part of Human Rights in International Law In Andrzej Jakubowski (ed.) Cultural Rights as Collective Rights – An International Law Perspective, Brill Academic Publishers, the Netherlands, pp. 113-132.
- Sandra Cassotta, Kamrul Hossain, Jingzheng Ren, Michael Evan Goodsite (2015). Climmate Change and Human Security in Multilevel and Multidisciplinary Dimension: The case of the Arctic Environmental Ocean. In Walter Leal Filho et al. (eds) Climate Change Adaptation, Resilience and Hazards, Springer (forthcoming).
- Nengye Liu, Kamrul Hossain, (2015) China and the Development of International Law on Arctic Shipping: Challenges and Opportunities, in Timo Koivurova, Tianbao Qin, Sébastien Duyck and Tapio Nykanen (eds), Arctic Law and Governance: the Role of China, the EU and Finland, Hart Publishing (forthcoming).
- Hossain, Kamrul (2015). Invasive Species in the Arctic: Concerns, Regulations and Governance. In: Saleem Ali and Rebecca Pincus (eds.) Diplomacy on Ice: Energy, the Environment, and Emergent Cooperation in the Arctic and Antarctica, Yale University Press, pp. 72-93.
- Hossain, Kamrul (2015). EU Engagement in the Arctic: Do the policy responses from the Arctic states recognize the EU as a legitimate stakeholder? Arctic Review on Law and Politics, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 89-110.
- Cassotta, Sandra, Hossain, Kamrul, Jingzheng Ren, Michael Evan Goodsite (2015). Climate Change and China as a Global Emerging Regulatory Sea Power in the Arctic Ocean: Is China a Threat for Arctic Security"? Beijing Law Review, Vol. 6. No. 3.
- Timo Koivurova, Vladimir Masloboev, Kamrul Hossain, Vigdis Nygaard, Anna Petrétei, Svetlana Vinogradova (2015). Legal Protection of Sami Traditional Livelihoods from the Adverse Impacts of Mining: A Comparison of the Level of Protection Enjoyed by Sami in Their Four Home States, Arctic Review on Law and Politics, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 11-51.
Full List of Publications (pdf)