Hasanat, Waliul LLD
Northern Institute for Environmental and Minority Law
forename.surname at ulapland.fi
Focus of Research
My field of specialization is international law, in particular the law of international organisations and international environmental law relating to climate change. My research interests include soft law in international law, soft-law cooperation, the Arctic Council, the Barents Euro-Arctic Council, the Barents Regional Council, the Northern Forum, climate change in the Arctic, environmental protection, regional climate policy, changes and well-being in the Circumpolar North, and the protection of minorities.
Examples of Publications
- Md. Waliul Hasanat, ‘Searching for Synergies in International Governance Systems Developed in the Circumpolar North’ McGill International Journal of Sustainable Development Law & Policy (2013) Vol. 9, No.2, pp. 5-41.
- Md. Waliul Hasanat, ‘Reforming the Arctic Council against Increasingly Climate Change Challenges in the North’ Michigan State International Law Review (2013) Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 195-240.
- Timo Koivurova and Waliul Hasanat (eds.), Current Developments in Arctic Law (University of the Arctic Thematic Network on Arctic Law, 2013)
- Gudmundur Alfredsson, Timo Koivurova and Waliul Hasanat , ‘Editorial’ The Yearbook of Polar Law (2012), Vol. 4.
- Md. Waliul Hasanat, ‘The Role of International Governance Systems in Protecting the Arctic Environment: Examining Climate Change Policy’ The Yearbook of Polar Law (2012), Vol. 4.
- Gudmundur Alfredsson, Timo Koivurova and Waliul Hasanat (eds.), The Yearbook of Polar Law (2012), Vol.4, (Martinus Nijhoff Publishers: Leiden & Boston).
- Md. Waliul Hasanat, ‘A unique arrangement of soft-law cooperation in the Barents Region’ in Monica Tennberg (ed.), Politics of Development in the Barents Region (Lapland University Press, 2012), pp. 65-83.
- Md. Waliul Hasanat, Soft-law Cooperation in International Law: The Arctic Council’s Efforts to Address Climate Change ( Lapland University Press: Rovaniemi, 2012), pp. 306+XV. (Acta Universitatis Lapponiensis 234. ISBN 978-952-484-560-1. ISSN 0788-7604).
- Thomas S. Axworthy, Timo Koivurova and Waliul Hasanat (eds.), The Arctic Council: Its Place in the Future of Arctic Governance (Walter and Duncan Gordon Foundation: Toronto, Canada, 2012).
- Md. Waliul Hasanat, ‘Diverse Soft-Law Cooperation Forms in the Arctic - Do They Complement or Contradict Each Other?’ International Community Law Review (2012), Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 273-299.
- Md. Waliul Hasanat, ‘International Cooperation in the Northern Forum: Emerging New Norms in International Law?’ Polar Record (2012), Vol.48, No. 4 (247), pp. 372-386.
- Md. Waliul Hasanat, ‘Cooperation in the Barents Euro-Arctic Region in the Light of International Law’ Yearbook of Polar Law (2010), Vol. 2, pp. 279-309.
- Md. Waliul Hasanat, ‘Towards Model Arctic-Wide Environmental Cooperation Combating Climate Change’ Yearbook of International Environmental Law (2009), Vol. XX, pp.122-157.
- Timo Koivurova and Md. Waliul Hasanat, ‘Climate Policy of the Arctic Council ’ in Timo Koivurova, E. Carina H. Keskitalo and Nigel Bankes (eds.), Climate Governance in the Arctic (Hanover: Springer-Verlag, 2009), pp. 51-76.
- Waliul Hasanat and Timo Koivurova, Protection of Minorities in Bangladesh: A Legal Assessment (University of Lapland Press:Rovaniemi, Finland, 2008).
- Md. Waliul Hasanat, ‘Definitional Constraints Regarding Soft Law’ AALCO Quarterly Bulletin (2007), Vol. III, No.1& 2, pp. 8-32.
- Md. Waliul Hasanat,'Globalisation of Trade Law and the World Trade Organisation: A Study' Rajshahi University Law Review (2005), Vol. VI, pp. 110-116.